Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Sarah's art process

Throughout the beginning of this year I have been playing with shapes. From swirls to hard edges, I constantly like to play with movement and flow.  The two pieces of artwork shown on the blog represent a series of abstract movements and shapes that both portray movement and different shapes. Besides playing with different figures, playing with different materials as well has contributed to the tone and mood that I am trying to get across to the viewer.  By using china markers, ink, waters colors, pens and pencils, I am using a variety of materials that will hopefully contribute to piece that is two dimensional in tone and mood.  Later on, I hope to utilize textures and different types of surfaces in order to emphasize the message of the piece as well as enhance the appeal to essentially make my pieces contain more  depth.



Sarah's inspired fantasy project
My piece based on Sonja Delaunay focuses on aspect of cubism.  Not only was I inspired by her use of shapes and figures but the way she assembled them. I pieced together my geometric shapes in a way that created a sense of harmony and flow. Beyond shape I focused on colors reflecting her bright artwork that was very eye catching. By using warm and bright colors I tried to get the shapes and patterns to really pop. 

6 comments:

  1. I really like how you put geometry into your pieces it inspires me to experiment more with shapes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that this is definitely a great start, but I think you should try to take a less literal approach to the still life as a whole. Maybe you could try repeating som of the forms you have here already. Also, I really like the idea of one accent color against a monochromatic piece, but I think you could push this a little more. I would recommend using different materials in order to create more tones and textures. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the style of the second piece. It has many patterns that add onto one another in an interesting way. I would definitely keep going and push the patterns you've laid down for the foundation of the piece. It might be interesting to create a set of this type of drawing with different variations for each like maybe adding color or changing up the shape.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the red you used for the flowers in the still life. I think it adds a nice splash of color in the black and white scene. Are you planning on adding any more red accent anywhere? If you added a little bit more, I think that would add some more life and intensity to the scene.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All of your pieces seem to have very strong geometry. I think it is most effective in your cubist painting because of the sharp lines and contrasts. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete