Tuesday, October 23, 2012

James Pack's art process

I wanted to connect this piece with the larger theme of my recent work, which is the idea of wabi-sabi ( a Japanese worldview and aesthetic that is centered around the ideas of impermanence and imperfection). Through wiping out certain parts of this figure, I wanted to highlight the idea of transience. I am really interested in the interaction between the human figure and the natural world and hope to keep exploring it.
 
Woodcut in process


3 comments:

  1. I really like this the exaggeration of the features really draws my eye to the center of the piece and forces me to explore the intense accuracy and detail on the outer features

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great! I love the way you shaded the body using different colors I Also think you balanced the piece very nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also like how you shaded the negative space using white and black, it grabs my attention. Great job and looks great!!

    ReplyDelete