Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Jonathan's art process

As someone who is very interested in the art of Chinese calligraphy, I feel it offers a unique component to my artwork when incorporated successfully. In this piece I am currently working on, I am experimenting with different size Chinese traditional hair brushes to achieve new strokes and streaks using black India ink. I practice my strokes with different amounts of ink, pressure, and with different brushes on rice paper, then transfer the stokes I find aesthetically pleasing to my piece.

I also am incorporating vein- like forms with the charcoal lines. I have always been interested in medicine and anatomy, and I think veins and blood vessels do more than just supply our bodies with blood and oxygen-- they offer an artistic form that is interesting and intriguing. 

Currently, I am using charcoal and India ink on this piece. Scratches are done with an x- acto blade. The medium is canvas board



5 comments:

  1. I love the texture and movement of this piece. Although there is a good amount of empty space (I'm not sure if you are done yet) I think it really works well to contrast the space that the drawing takes up. It reminds me of birds in flight and I personally interpret it to have a little bit of a violent feel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The detail and movement of this piece is really beautiful. I really like the tight shapes that you created. To cover the whole canvas, or even most of it, with that would be overkill. I think you should try adding more of the ink and create larger shapes to create depth, or a shadow to the overall shape. Then maybe fade it out towards the edges of the canvas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Johnathan,
    I really like what you're doing with your ink/charcoal piece. You are doing a job job of being creative while paying attention to detail. They look like they could be living. See what you could do with that- my first instinct when I saw these pieces was to look for a face, or some trace of life that I could identify.
    Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. your ink paintings are amazing, they really look alive. i like how you show your paint brushes and what type of stroke it makes

    ReplyDelete
  5. your ink paintings are amazing, they really look alive. i like how you show your paint brushes and what type of stroke it makes

    ReplyDelete