Thursday, October 18, 2012

Jackie Wu art process

This painting represents my interest in fashion. The composition and the color scheme is going to be very editorial. I plan to add some abstract aspect into it, but I am not sure what now. Maybe a pop of color on my mouth or eyes or both. The way I am drawing myself represents how much of a perfectionist I am. The painting is very slick and precise. My lack of color represents in the style I usually work in. However, I plan to push myself and add some color into it.

Expressive self portrait in process
Mixed media rose in process
I started this painting having no clue what I was doing. The wire mesh was something I decided to just throw on before the class ended. After seeing a Christian Dior fashion show, I was inspired to do something more feminine, so I decided to fold the wire mesh into a rose and I painted some roses next to it. To balance out the 3D of the wire mesh I decided to add actual rose petals to the painting. My next step is to add some small rose petals to the roses I painted and paint over the petals. Any thoughts or suggestions?

5 comments:

  1. Hi Jackie I know that your painting now looks different from the picture above, but I think that right now it is looking very good. You have added more shadows and the details look more crisp. Are you planning on doing the whole thing black and white? Will your portrait be purely observational or do you feel like adding something abstract? While I think it would look good as an observational piece, I know you are very creative and would like to see some of that in this piece. Perhaps something on the mouth? Eyes? Hair? The eyes strand out to me the most.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jackie,
    You are doing a great job making progress in your realistic portrait. The angle of your nose, mouth and eyes are working more accurately. Great job polishing up the skin tones to create a fashion photo painting. I commend you on your dedication and hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hola Jackie,
    I find the second, (underneathmost), painting draws my interest the most, the polarizing contrast, the harsh tones, the almost controlled chaos in my opinion is great. While not exactly relating to fashion or perfectionalism, it seems a bit more, interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi I really like your expressive art piece on the bottom! I like your choices of having different shades of blue with gold and black. It looks like you used tree braches painted gold to incorporate nature. What else could you or would you add? Maybe add another texture that incorporates nature for the empty blue spaces? Otheriwse, I really like it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jackie,
    I think your self portrait turned out very well. You didn't like what you had at first but then you gave it another try and made it even better. Good job! I'm not sure what you're working on now but I like the very bottom piece. Are you done with it? Is there a way you could add other colors? I feel like if you do similar designs with, for example, purple or red on top of this, it could look attractively disorienting...if that makes sense...
    I think you're off to a good start though. It has a lot of potential.

    ReplyDelete