Thursday, October 18, 2012

Jacky Ha art process

Being integrated into American culture was always my dream. I express myself as an Asian American using watercolor. I combine the features of Asian face and American brown hair. I use the star to symbolize my hope for future because it gives us the feeling of being shined by light. I can see American flag through my eye.

 

Expressive self-portrait in process

Jackie Cubist in process

My painting is inspired by Fernand Leger, who is a Naïve Art style cubist artist. I imitated his battle painting Stalingrad to include features of a construction site background and the soldiers. I used dark brown for the background and mainly red and orange for the buildings. Warm color expressing the feeling of enthusiasm of soldiers.

5 comments:

  1. I really like how to outlined your face and the blending you did with the glasses. I also like american flag colors in the eyes. it expresses a lot about how you work and take your time...great job

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jackie! I am very impressed by your creativity and observational skills. You did a great job of blending the two and I think that you are doing well at expressing a part of yourself in this. You are very good at controlling the water color. Will most of your painting consist of subtle colors? Or are you thinking of doing something spontaneous? I almost feel as though you don't need it but I was just throwing it out there. I do think you could have fun with shadows though, and intensifying the shadows may intensify the painting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (Kacie Wrean) I think this portrait of a close up of your eyes and glasses is really fascinating. The first thing I noticed was how well blended the skin tones are and how they subtly convey the shape of your face. The next thing I noticed was how you portrayed the contrast of shadows and glare from light on your glasses very realistically. The really fascinating part of this to me was the Amereican Flag in your eyes. It was kind of hidden behind the glasses and is very subtle. I really like this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like how you made the American flag subtlety in the eyes of the girl also the blending is really well done

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoy your cubist painting. The way you put contrasting colors like the blue and yellow/golden emphasizes the painting. I like how you used clean cut edges and the painting is very neat. Would you consider maybe contrasting this and being a little more free lance? I think this could work and it would make your painting even more emphasizing.

    ReplyDelete