Thursday, October 18, 2012

Katie Kim art process


Usually I am reserved around people so I wanted this portrait to show
that I can be lively and silly at the same time. I chose green because
I felt that it was a vibrant color, which would go hand in hand with my
expression. Therefore, I wanted a head shot because I am very
expressive with my face, and a lot of my communication comes from my
expressions. My strengths are observational drawing and shading, but I
have not had much practice with colors, and have had no practice with
oil pastels. The main skills I wanted to get out of this self portrait
were learning how use colors, as well as learning how to use a new
medium.

Expressive portrait art in process
Cubist inspired painting process
For my cubism project I wanted to incorporate both a cubist style with the shattered glass, as well as provide a sense of reality with the hands. I am adding a gradation for each of the pieces of glass, and am experimenting with complementary colors with the hands. It is not easy for me to be creative, and cubism is a form of creativity. However, I am doing my best and am learning more about my style in the process. 

7 comments:

  1. I like your color choices especially for your face. Your different shades of green between dark/light for your shadows makes it realistic. I am curious and interested on why you chose to make your face/skin green? Also, I'm excited on what you are going to do with your mouth, maybe you can add something different to it that's separates it from the rest of the face. Maybe using a different color or medium? Otherwise I really like this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your piece is very unique especially the green colors. the thing that stands out the most to me s the transition from the top to bottom of your face. Maybe add a background color like purple or light blue. over all great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what your finished expressive portrait looks like!I like your unique choice of colors to show what you're trying to express. Your technique with the smudging really brings out the highlights in your hair and makes it realistic. I like your different styles of texture, shapes, and sizes you used with your charcoal piece. Are you going to add something to the white spaces in the top left?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Katie. This is Tristan York, from S.F. It's been a long time since you left KMAC, almost 6 years. I saw your holiday card at the school and I thought I'd look you up. Thats a better self portrait of you than one I could make of myself. It kind of reminds me of the Wicked Witch of the West from OZ. I sincerely hope I have the right person, assuming you are who I think you are. It is a little hard to be sure, what with the green skin color, and your hair being longer than I remember, but the eyes look familiar. I hope you remember me after all these years. I'd like to catch-up with you. I'm not sure if you check your notifications on this blog regularly, though probably not. Regardless, I have no other way of contacting you, so this will have to do for now. I'll leave you my email (tsyork141@yahoo.com). Hopefully you will receive this message and respopnd. In the mean time, MERRY CHRISTMAS, KATIE. P.S. good luck with the swim team.

    ReplyDelete
  5. first of al i just want to say that the overall design of this is really cool and unique. I love the usage of color but i think that the shattered glass looks more like blocks. It does remind me of stain glass windows but maybe try making them appear more like reflective surfaces. That was the only thing that really stood out to me. Other then that i love the blending and can't wait to see the finished product. Awesome job and hoped my suggestions helped :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Katie! I really like your cubist painting so far. I think the different shapes and colors make it look like a stained glass window.I like how each color is different and contrasts eachother, it really makes the painting eye catching. What are you trying to convey with the hands? Also, what are you thinking of putting in the middle, if you are? Otherwise, I really like the faded and different color shades. Im excited to see where this can go!:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like your cubism piece. The broken stained glass with the fingers coming through is a really great concept. However, I think that your stained glass parts could look a little more transparent to look like glass. Maybe mix some of your paints with glazing medium to give it a more shiny and transparent look?

    ReplyDelete