Friday, January 20, 2012

James Eaton

Process pieces

Well as you can see this is not the classical art of drawing in painting. In fact that is one of the points I gave it during the process of creation. To say I have a plan would imply that there is one, which at the moment it is to just see what happens and focus on the process, something Hom states many times during the day. The evolution of the these works, starting with a drawing and proceeding through the wood piece to that of the deranged circle, it has been a time of "what is something that I haven't seen done" and then make it even crazier. That is one of the fun parts of the process, between the nails, the ink, and the thread, what seems like chaos is actually not. To say I am trying is to do one thing is incorrect, I feel I am trying to see the limitless boundaries of the creative human mind and it's equal.





5 comments:

  1. Cool use of nails and yarn. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sculptural piece on natural wood is most effective, especially with the cast shadows. An idea to consider might be creating rendered drawings from the multiple shadows and continuing your process into a series of work. Consider buying different size nails, as that would change the size and scale of both the actual sculpture as well as distort the shadows which could create even more intriguing drawings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your latest work is developing into an environmental installation. Way to push the boundaries! Are you still considering some drawings as well. I think this would add strength to the process development of your sculpture. These drawings can be quick sketches as a way to promote divergent thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the pieces that you incorporated the very fine penwork into. The detail is really interesting, and I think it would be cool to experiment more with the masks and the earthy tones you like to use and the theme of decay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the use of geometry and the utilization of shapes. I think it gives the art work nice sharp features.

    ReplyDelete