Monday, January 11, 2016

PEM Inspiration

Based on the PEM exhibitions, I've been exploring scale more sculptural approaches to my art, inspired specifically by the "Sizing It Up: Scale in Nature and Art" exhibit. I often feel confined by the canvas I work on, so in order to move beyond this, I have been experimenting with expanding the piece in the way I feel it needs, whether it be through an extension of theme to later pieces or physically adding more material to the piece to create a larger space for myself to work with. In creating a series of new work, I've settled on working sculpturally with a series of mirrors, focusing on conveying a sense of textures found in nature presented in unnatural colors, as is found in John Newsom's piece Honey Hunter. With this series of mirrors, I will also include a large canvas with an interpretive self portrait, in order to play on the theme of self-reflection and how a self portrait can travel outside a lifelike depiction of one's face. These pieces inspire me because they incorporate mixed media, present the sculptural technique and contemporary self portrait style I'm experimenting with, and they present a depth created in the usage of unexpected color and texture combinations.

No comments:

Post a Comment