Monday, January 11, 2016

Donya's Artshare post and PEM reflection

Donya Potter

Based on the PEM exhibit, I would like to further explore with using unrealistic sizes and ratios to objects and things along those lines. In the “Sizing it up: Scale in Nature and Art” category of the exhibit, I found the art to be very engaging and interesting because it was so abnormal and abstract.

An artist and theme that has always stuck out to me was Frida Kahlo. I have known about her and her artwork since I was young and traveled around Mexico and have always been fascinated with the way she painted. Her paintings are all very deep and intensely meaningful. They are extremely abstract and unusual but once you understand the emotion she was trying to express, it all makes perfect sense. They are often sad and have a lot of pain in them, which also draws me in and makes me want to know more about Frida as a person as well as an artist. Her theme is her and her emotions in a portrait. For me, this would be very cool to experiment with but also very challenging.



This video inspires me because it talks about her pain, and how it made her stronger and rise above her difficulties in life. This makes me think she is a very inspirational artist. What draws me in about her portraits are that her face is usually consistent and similar but what’s surrounding her is always the interesting part. What is happening to her or what she’s doing is what expresses her emotion.


I like this drawing because it has a very whimsical feel to it. It reminds me of when I was a kid and had a huge imagination. I like how the flowers are ginormous because it could possibly have an underlying concept of the pollution in our planet right now and how we desperately need to take care of our earth and plants. The flowers are big to show the importance of this issue. It appeals to children most likely which is exactly who needs to be targeted so the next generation will be saved. I like how there are multiple kinds of flowers for diversity and how they are crammed in a room representing the small world.



No comments:

Post a Comment