Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Gesture Drawing to Music

Charcoal allows one to put down large areas of tone quickly and expressively.  Here are some gesture drawings I made with charcoal while listening to and watching an improvisational jazz group called Adventure in Sound in Cambridge, MA:





The 2nd to last drawing was drawn with my eyes closed; just reacting to the sounds that were appearing in front of me.  I would often draw in rhythm with the music.  These musicians create music that is particularly fun to respond to this way as their music is very dynamic.  They explore many different sonic textures, rhythms and melodies.  They are constantly in the moment, responding to each other in what at times seems to be telepathy.  In the future I would like to video tape myself (or someone else) drawing in this manner to live music and have the video projected behind the band while they are performing.

Here is an example of this same group playing live (I shot this video):

No comments:

Post a Comment