Wednesday, December 9, 2015

PEM Experience

The Peabody Essex Museum is often full of inspired, experimental artwork, that link tradition and innovation. Today, I found this to be particularly the case. The piece like the one directly below, called "Toothpicks" is both beautiful and socially significant. The foreground is composed of 100 million toothpicks, each representing the 100 million trees that get felled each year to become junk mail. The use of art as medium for social and environmental awareness struck me as tremendously significant. Furthermore, I'd hope to apply such themes as the motors of my own work. 

 This "outfit" from the Native American Fashion exhibit struck me as so outlandishly beautiful. The detail of the black dress is subdued by its monochrome nature, fortunately giving way to a greater appreciation for the head piece. An interpretation of the feather boa, this sleek tubing somehow comes across as a natural part of the composition, even exuding subtlety, mystery, and modesty. The piece made me consider how certain pieces may be less overbearing than they appear- thus, I feel a little more ready to take chances and be bold with my experimentation!

No comments:

Post a Comment