Thursday, December 10, 2015

Peabody Essex Museum Field Trip Reflection


This Wednesday we took a field trip to the Peabody Essex Museum in Salem, MA. I really enjoyed the museum, from the mixed media art to the beests to the native fashion show, these are a few of my favorite pieces.

This was a small birds-eye view mixed media piece. I really liked the piece because it lit up the parts of the landscape that was part of a city, as well as the highways and roads. I also liked the greens and the blues of this piece, they didn't necessarily look like real-life colors, but all the colors came together really nicely, I wonder if the artist was inspired from a helicopter view where everything looks almost fake. Finally, I liked this piece because I made a similar piece last year. I drew the streets of a city out on a black cardboard paper and had tiny origami cranes flying overhead. I think I related to this piece a lot because I made a similar piece last year.

I liked this painting mostly because of the colors in the piece, the colors were dull but they came together quite nicely, and provided a very realistic image. I also loved the work that the artist put into the clouds, there are different types of clouds in the painting and the perspective work on them looks very realistic, and they help set the tone and mood of the entire piece. Finally, I loved the way that the horizon was blurred out, as if the cloudy/ foggy day was continued as far as the eye could see. I wonder if the artist painted from a real landscape or if his mood altered the tone of the painting, it feels like a mix of both.

No comments:

Post a Comment