Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Senior artist statements due 4/27, 4/28

Artist Statements
Writing an Artist’s Statement
(Please email the artist statement using Arial, pt20)
§    Student Name
§   
§  Title of the Piece – this alone helps the viewer understand the subject or makes him/her think about the work in a different way
§   
§  What did I do? (Describe the artwork, including the medium, subject matter, and inspiration.)

§  My artwork was inspired by whom or what?

§  What happened along the way? (Did anything interesting or unusual happen?  Did I solve any problems in the process? Did I change my approach to doing the project? etc.)

§  What did I learn through the art project?

§  What would I do differently next time?

§  Why is this piece important to me?



Sample Artist Statements


Ex. 1. My piece was inspired by the art of Sumi-e.  It was created by the traditional Sumi-e tools, a grinding ink stone, rice paper , Chorya brush, Ran-Chiku brush, and Maruyama brush.  After my painting was half way completed some ink water spilled on my paper but I turned it into more bamboo.


Ex.2.  Art is a way of expressing how I want to be and what I want to do.  Art is a very important thing for me because it helps me relax and be alone in my head.  In class we tried to recreate a few pieces by the artist Franz Marc’s “Blue Horses”. I had meant for the horse to be bluer, but that was no fun using only a few colours so I tried my best to use as many colours as I could.  When I finished painting it turned out not as I expected it to.  I wish I had tried to draw the horses’ anatomy better and the perspective, but I guess it can’t be as perfect as I would like. I liked Franz Marc’s style and I think I should try different things more often than just sticking to my regular medium.  I never usually use paint because I do not like the results of my work and I wish I could paint what I saw, but I realize it doesn’t have to be like how I planned it to be.


No comments:

Post a Comment